Okay, it’s Autism “Awareness” month, aka, the month in which neurotypical people pretend to care about the tragedy of autism by making parents feel sad for other parents and raising a shitload of money that doesn’t actually go to autistics. You know, for sustaining livelihood or therapies for children.
The link shows Autism Speaks’ latest innovation in trying to make autistics a spectacle to raise money for… so they can continue to spread images of autism as an infantilized disorder that eternal children suffer from, silently. While rocking in a corner or something, and definitely not meeting your eye. So disturbing to normals…
Okay. Okay. So we need awareness! AWARENESS. So we have this simulation of an autistic child. And people are standing around with drinks. Trying to get the simulation to look them in the eye.
So, do you normals have staring contests or something? What is this fixation on eye contact? I can look at your nose, or your forehead. Isn’t that fucking good enough? The more I look at this video, the angrier I get. There are people who could use that money. Autistic people, families with autistic children.
But instead they build a high-tech pity machine. Awareness is just mere attention, a brief jerk of affect that people can drop a dollar or so to get a puzzle piece, and Autism $peaks gets to keep perpetuating dehumanizing, infantilizing representations of actual autistics.
AWESOME AWARENESS MONTH.
Do me a favor, and if you wander into a Barns and Noble and see a display featuring only children, or you’re in a store with puzzle pieces, don’t validate this crap. Watch the video, acknowledge what shitty behavior this is.
- Finally, A Feminism 101 Blog - Frequently Answered Questions
- Feminist Literature (Tumblr)
- Feminist texts written by women of color (Tumblr)
- fuckyeahfeminists (Tumblr)
- grrrlpower (Tumblr)
Racism, Race, & Culture
- Institutional/Structural Racism Within a Context: A Historical Glimpse at the Concept of “Race”
- Definitions - Racism Free Ontario Initiative
- Different Forms of Racism
- What is a Microaggression? What are Racial Microagressions?
- Appropriation vs. Appreciation
- A Look at the Myth of Reverse Racism
- Who are People of Colour? Why can’t I use the term “coloured”?
- Colourblindness: Colorblind Ideology is a Form of Racism
- The Angry Eye (YouTube)
- Racialicious (Tumblr)
- ladyatheist (Tumblr)
Sizeism & Body Positivity
- Truth Behind Fat: References
- Obesity, Health, and Metabolic Fitness
- Don’t You Realize Fat Is Unhealthy?
- Diets Don’t Work, But…
- Reality vs. Relativism
- THE HAES MANIFESTO (pdf)
- Fat Acceptance FAQ
- redefiningbodyimage (Tumblr)
GSM (Gender & Sexuality Minorities)
- Project Queer (Tumblr)
- Trans* Awareness (Tumblr)
- Trans Etiquette 101: No Offense, But That’s Offensive (Tumblr)
- Cissexism, Transphobia, & Cissupremacy. (Tumblr)
- So what’s a genderqueer, eh? (Tumblr)
- Gender Neutral Pronoun Blog
- The Spoon Theory written by Christine Miserandino
- Ableist Word Profile
- Don’t Support Autism Speaks
- I’m Autistic, But Autism Speaks Doesn’t Speak for Me.
- An Autistic Speaks About Autism Speaks
- Why I am against Autism Speaks (Tumblr)
- Checking Your Privilege 101 (pdf)
- Male privilege checklist (pdf)
- White Privilege Checklist (pdf)
- Binary-Gender Privilege Checklist
- Cis Privilege Checklist
- Heterosexual privilege checklist (pdf)
- Checklist of Neurotypical Privilege
- Christian Privilege Checklist
- Christian Privileges in American Society: Hidden Ways Christians are Privileged
- Privilege even in veganism
- Vegan Privilege